Monday 25 February 2013

Soldered, Part 2


A bit more progress yesterday, although not without its frustrations.

I managed to get the remaining connections between the pots and switches done, with things getting increasingly fiddly in amongst the ever-increasing maze of wires. Then using the "helping hands" to suspend the cavity cover and preamp circuit over everything I'd already done, I started connecting up the wires from the preamp. The first one to do was the connection to the mini-switch that acts as an on-off switch for the preamp, so I soldered it into place and went to check it with the multimeter - only to find that the switch doesn't work properly. I thought I had tested it before I started soldering, but whether it was broken before or I've somehow broken it, it's definitely broken now! I've ordered a replacement, which happens to be black, to fit in with the knobs and pickup switch tip I already have.


I figured that while I had the cavity cover suspended in place, I might as well finish connecting up the preamp circuit - so all those connections are now done. Once the replacement switch arrives, I'll de-solder the broken one and solder in the new one, and then I'll be able to carefully remove everything from the cardboard and mount it into the guitar, hopefully without breaking any of the connections! Once it's all in, there will just be the pickups and battery clips to connect and I'll be able to find out if it all works...

The current, somewhat precarious state of affairs:


Also, I forgot to mention last time but I've had to be a little careful with replicating the circuit diagram as regards the two push-pull pots. I discovered (before I started soldering, thankfully) that the two I have (one that came with the guitar, one that I bought) work the opposite way to one another, which meant I had to reverse the connections on the phase switch from the circuit diagram to make sure it works the expected way (i.e. pushed down = in phase, pulled up = out of phase). Hopefully I've got my adjustments to the circuit right!

No comments:

Post a Comment