Sunday 30 October 2011

Taking Shape

On the advice of Jim Fleeting (see comments on my previous post, Plan B), I bought a rasp this week, and attacked the Marlin with it this afternoon. It was fairly hard work, possibly because I'm in no way used to such manual labour - but the results were pretty satisfying. Here's a pic:


As you can see, I've taken it fairly close to the line all the way round, so it's really starting to take the shape of what I hope to end up with.

Here's the pile of wood dust I ended up with:


There was some splintering but that's probably inevitable, and it doesn't really matter at this stage. I'll have a go at the top of the body in a few days' time, and probably try to get a bit closer to the line round the bottom too.

2 comments:

  1. Hope I'm not teaching my Granny to suck eggs, here, but the rasp should be fairly easy, so if it's hard work, maybe your technique is wrong.

    I appreciate that the rasp is not a finesse tool, but it still has a technique. Bang on a pair of gloves, and use both hands. Even though a rasp only has 1 handle, it's a two handed tool. Get you left hand on the other end, and if it's a fairly course rasp, you should rip through it.

    Obviously, a router with a template would mean you could do it in about 5 minutes, but I appreciate you don't have access to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be fair, my technique almost certainly is wrong - I certainly had no idea it should be used two-handed. I've never done any woodworking at all before so I'm learning all this as I go along. "Hard work" is probably a bit relative though, I just meant it took a bit of elbow grease, not something I'm too used to with a career in IT!

    I was only at it for about an hour (with a few short breaks) so I was happy with how much I achieved in that time, comparing the results from yesterday with the "before" pics from a couple of posts back. I think this plywood seems pretty tough, not that I have anything to compare it with, but the rasp did chew through it fairly quickly once I put some effort in.

    A router would be nice, but I need to get a bit further (and a few more projects) down the road before I can justify that sort of outlay :-)

    Next week is booked off work, so more progress then hopefully.

    ReplyDelete