Saturday 27 July 2013

A Case for the Westone...and more!

Back from holiday and time to update the blog with events of a few weeks ago...

I'd been on the lookout for a hard case for the Westone ever since I bought it, without much hope though as I knew that an original fitted case for a guitar that's over 25 years old was likely to be a pretty rare thing.

However, a couple of months back one appeared on eBay, and I managed to win the auction. When it arrived it was pretty mucky and had that thick musty smell that only comes from sitting in a cupboard or attic for at least ten years! Behold the layer of crap:


But I cleaned it up a bit, fixed the middle hinge (it was missing its pin, so that was easily replaced with a nail) and now it looks pretty good, albeit with some inevitable wear and tear - and it fits my Thunder 1a perfectly, which was the main thing. Once it was cleaned up, the logo was actually visible:



The thing is, the case came with an added extra (well, two); the body and neck of another Westone Thunder, this time a 1984 Thunder 1! It's been quite heavily customised - someone has very roughly hewn a third pickup cavity into it, and also added a second mini-switch hole below the one mini-switch that would've been there originally. It's unfinished, has no hardware (not even the neck plate and bolts), cavity covers or electrics and badly needs a refret - so there's a lot more to do on this one than there was on my 1a!



It should prove to be another interesting project though, as I'll have to learn some new skills (not least re-fretting) and even have to make some of the parts myself, such as the cavity covers and possibly even a custom one-piece 3-humbucker pickup ring. The extra pickup cavity needs tidying up quite badly, too:


It'll be on the back burner for now though, as I should really get back to finishing that Marlin that I started so long ago...

No comments:

Post a Comment