Saturday 25 February 2012

Dig Your Own Hole(s)

Another instance of me having time to work on the Marlin but then no time to blog about it!

I spent some time last weekend starting on the cavities and actually made quite a bit of progress. The first task with each one was to use the hand drill to remove what I could - quite time-consuming since the drill only takes up to a 6mm bit, but it's the best way to start things off. A piece of masking tape around the bit at a depth of just over 3cm served as an indication of reaching the correct depth, and I made as many holes as I could, a few mm apart, almost up to the planned edges of the cavities. It ended up looking a little like swiss cheese - or perhaps like it'd been attacked by a freakishly-large woodworm!


Then I removed the rest of the wood from the planned cavity using a chisel, which was made much easier with all the holes I'd already made with the drill. The layers of the plywood also helped with making this fairly easy. I managed to just about finish the first cavity, and get about half-way down the larger one before I ran out of time:



Hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow to finish off the second cavity and possibly make a start on the third one too. Weight loss so far is OK - I weighed the body after finishing the first cavity and before starting the drilling on the second one, and I'd removed ~50g. Doesn't sound like a lot but it's the smaller of the two so far, and it's almost (if not quite) what I had calculated I would lose from that one. We'll see what it's like once I'm done with the big one!

No comments:

Post a Comment